Story and photos by Dr. Michael Lim The Travelling Gourmet TM
Copyright all rights reserved
Cookie in a Mug!
The indomitable and irascible Travelling Gourmet TM makes a super easy Cookie in a
MUG…Macho men sometimes have little time to cook. When you have to practice Karate, Knife Throwing, learn Urdu, shoot machine guns, parachute and more…you need a recipe that is quick and simple. A recipe that works. Always. Like Krav Maga.
Here is one such recipe…ENJOY Caballeros!
- 1 tablespoon (14g) unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon (13g) dark brown sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- small pinch salt
- pinch of fresh ground Sarawak Pepper
- 1 egg yolk, room temp if possible BUT not necessary
- 3 tablespoons (30g) plain flour
- 2 heaping tablespoons (30g) DARK/semisweet chocolate chips Do not use Godiva that is FULL of trans fats and low quality ingredients and the company is ownwe by a Turkish man rumoured to have links with isis terrorists. Use Valrhona, Frey, Ghiradelli and other brands.
- 1 teaspoon dried Cranberries
- Choose a microwave-safe mug. It does not have to be large, as the cookie doesn’t rise like microwave cakes do, if at all.
- Place the butter in the mug and melt in the microwave; do this in 15 second intervals at about 70% power or Medium (it should be melted, not boiling). When you have small bits of butter remaining, take it out of the microwave and gently swirl, or stir, the butter until the bits have melted.
- To the melted butter, add sugars, vanilla and salt. Stir well. COMBINE!
- Add the egg yolk and stir well to mix well!.
- Add the flour, and stir until combined. The consistency of the dough should be similar to real cookie dough; if it’s too runny, add a touch more flour until the consistency is firmer, or if it’s too stiff, add a splash of milk. Adjust to your taste and cooking skill…
- Add the chocolate chips and stir to evenly distribute throughout the dough. Flatten the surface of the dough with the back of the spoon.
- Microwave at about 70% power for 30 seconds. Do not overcook!!! For your first time, only cook for 30 seconds; if it’s still looking quite wet on top, microwave at 70% power for another 10 seconds. The cookie will continue to cook once it’s removed from the microwave, and it will be very hot. Cook and check like shoot and scoot…
- If you overcook it, it will be become dry and hard, so always err on the side of less cooking time! You may even make a version of Moulleux aux chocolat..